Cats are curious, complex, and captivating creatures. And just as no two cats are exactly alike, the nutritional needs of our feline friends can be equally varied. Some need extra energy to fuel their active lifestyle. Others require fewer calories to maintain a healthy weight. Some have lots of food sensitivities. And some have lots of, well…hairballs.
Staying on top of your cat’s health, wellness, and nutritional needs can be challenging for any pet parent. Luckily, Hill’s Science Diet has a wide variety of cat food formulas designed to meet the ever-changing needs of cats, through every age and stage of their life.
But what does that really mean? To make deciding what goes in your cat’s dinner bowl easier to understand, here’s a helpful overview of Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food formulas, how they work, and what that means for your cat.
Why Choose Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food?
Hill’s Pet Nutrition has a legacy in the pet food industry that stretches all the way back to 1907, when the company was founded. Hill’s Science Diet is the brand’s premium line of pet food, featuring formulas developed in partnership with over 200 veterinarians, nutritionists, and food scientists.
When it comes to choosing a cat food that’s tailored to address your cat’s specific nutritional needs or health considerations, Hill’s Science Diet cat food formulas provide plenty of options. What’s more, every formula is perfectly balanced to contain precisely what domestic cats need to survive.
Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they — like their ancestors in the wild — require a diet rich in animal proteins for survival. Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food makes feeding your cat a balanced, protein-rich diet convenient, affordable, and nutritionally sound.
Not only does Hill’s Science Diet kibble for cats contain high-quality proteins cats need to build lean, healthy muscles, it also contains all the fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals modern cats have evolved to thrive upon. That includes essential nutrients like taurine, which cats used to derive from prey animals, and limited amounts of easily digestible carbohydrates.
All of this combined is what makes Hill’s Pet Nutrition the #1 veterinarian-recommended pet food over any other brand. Dr. Dawn Filos, DVM, counts herself among these veterinarians who recommend Hill’s Science Diet cat food. “I do, often, and have done so for my entire 30+ year career,” she says.
“I have personally used Hill’s Science Diet for most of my pets, “ she adds. “They provide high-quality, reasonably priced diets, readily available in pet stores.” Filos says she also appreciates that Hill’s is one of the very few pet food companies that do extensive research on their diets, which are nutritionally well balanced and adhere to stringent health and safety guidelines.
Types of Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the Great Pet Care editorial team and do not reflect a direct endorsement by the author. However, Great Pet Care may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Hill’s Science Diet offers such a wide array of choices because cats require different things from their diet as they move through life. To eliminate the guesswork and support feline health, Hill’s makes choosing the precise formula your cat needs as easy as possible.
Here’s a simple guide that shows how Hill’s categorizes your options. Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food formulas are designed to support nutritional needs according to:
- Kitten Formulas are intended for kittens from the time they are weaned up to 1 year old
- Adult Cat Formulas are for cats 1 to 7 years old
- Senior Cat Formulas are for cats over the age of 7
As we mentioned before, cats can be complex. So if you have a kitty who has more than one health consideration, never fear. Hill’s Science Diet formulas often address multiple categories at once. For example, if urinary health is a priority for your cat and you’d prefer fewer hairballs in your life, Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Hairball Control Adult dry cat food could be just the formula you’re looking for.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food Formulas to Consider
Still unsure which formula to pick for your pet? To help you understand the different options and how they work, we took a closer look at several Hill’s Science Diet categories of dry cat food and their benefits.
Cats under the age of 1 year old are notorious for their endless, rambunctious energy. But that’s not the only reason they need a calorie-dense formula to keep them going. They also need food that fuels the rapid development of their brains, eyes, bones, teeth, and bodies. That’s no small feat, but Hill’s Science Diet kitten formulas deliver exactly what young cats need. With Hill’s carefully balanced kitten kibble in their bowl, you can look forward to many years ahead with your favorite feline.
- Made with high-quality protein and balanced minerals to build healthy muscles, bones, and teeth
- Contains DHA-rich fish oil for healthy brain and eye development
- Kittens love the delicious chicken recipe
- Also good for pregnant or nursing cats
- Choose from specialized formulas for indoor kitties and those who cannot tolerate corn, wheat, or soy
Specially formulated for cats in the prime of their lives, Hill’s Science Diet Adult dry cat food promotes strong, lean, healthy bodies. The science-led formulas contain a balanced blend of nutrients such as taurine for heart health and minerals to support kidney and bladder function. Hill’s offers 14 different choices of adult formula diets to meet the needs of cats of any age, size, or health condition.
- Made with high-quality protein as ingredient #1 (and no chicken by-product meal)
- Easy to digest, so your cat gets the full nutritional benefits
- Contains plenty of Vitamin E and Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and luxurious fur
- Available in palate-pleasing chicken or salmon recipes
- Choose from specialized formulas for hairball control, indoor cats, oral care, weight management, food sensitivities, and more
Many older felines tend to slow down around the age of 6 or 7. That means they need a diet that’s calibrated to fit their changing nutritional and caloric needs, while still supplying them with the energy they need to fully enjoy their golden years. Hill’s Science Diet dry food formulas for senior cats are packed with the nutrition and ingredients cats need to help them age gracefully and healthily. And even if your mature cat has specific health considerations, Hill’s offers a wide variety of specialized formulas to fit the most common senior cat needs, including heart, kidney, and immune health.
- Made with flavorful, nutritious chicken protein to encourage appetite in senior cats
- Formulas feature easy-to-digest ingredients and natural fibers for healthy stool and easier litter box cleanup
- Contains clinically-proven antioxidants blended with Vitamins C and E to promote immune health
- Choose from specialized formulas for a wide variety of needs, including hairball control, vitality, weight management, sensitive stomach, perfect digestion, oral care, and more
Though many pet parents prefer their cats extra fluffy, if your cat is hiding excess weight under all that fur, it could take a big toll on their health. Overweight cats face an increased risk of developing many health conditions, including diabetes and urinary tract diseases.
If you’re unsure about whether or not your cat is maintaining a healthy body weight, always ask your veterinarian for guidance about how to reach or maintain an ideal weight. They may recommend a balanced, nutritious, reduced-calorie diet, like Hill’s Science Diet Perfect Weight dry cat food. The revolutionary fiber-rich formula is made with high-quality protein and enriched with L-carnitine and coconut oil to support your cat’s metabolism. Most pet parents report a noticeable weight loss in cats within 10 weeks when feeding a Perfect Weight diet.
- Clinically proven to help cats achieve a healthy weight
- Formulated for adult cats, especially those that are less active or prone to weight gain
- Reduced-calorie formula fuels healthy metabolism with L-carnitine and coconut oil
- Contains natural fiber-rich ingredients to help your cat feel full longer
- To ensure safe and effective weight loss or weight management, follow the helpful feeding guide on the bag.
Does your couch-potato indoor cat love to snooze the day away? Or is your older cat just not as energetic as they used to be? Whatever the cause, some adult cats require a lighter formula with fewer calories to balance out a less active lifestyle. And that’s where Hill’s Science Diet Light dry cat food is a perfect choice. The formulas contain fewer calories than regular Hill’s Science Diet Adult dry cat food, but all the delicious flavor and healthy nutrition your cat needs to thrive without feeling deprived or hungry.
- Formulated to help less active adult cats reach or maintain an ideal weight.
- Recommended for adult cats that require fewer calories to support a healthy lifestyle
- Contains L-carnitine and natural fiber-rich ingredients that help cats feel full longer
- Choose from specialized formulas for hairball control and indoor cats
- To ensure safe and effective weight loss or weight management, follow the helpful feeding guide on the bag
If your feline is vomiting up hairballs, Hill’s Science Diet has a research-backed, nutritious solution that can help provide your cat (and you) relief from the regurgitation. Hill’s Hairball formulas are the result of intense study to understand how a natural, fiber-filled diet can help reduce the incidence of hairballs in cats.
High-fiber ingredients help solve hairball woes from the inside out by making it easier for hair and fur to pass through a cat’s digestive system, instead of vomiting it back up. Not only do the formulas help cats prevent the formation of hairballs, they also contain key ingredients, including Vitamin E and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which help reduce shedding and promote healthy coats.
- Made with natural fiber-rich ingredients that help comfortably reduce hairballs in cats
- Contains delicious chicken for lean muscles and Vitamin E plus Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur
- Choose from specialized formulas for weight management, senior cats, and urinary health
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food for Health Considerations
Whether your cat has food sensitivities, or you want to ensure their urinary, dental, or digestive health, Hill’s Science Diet has the right dry cat food for your pet. These science-led formulas include:
- Hill’s Science Diet Oral Care – Interlocking fiber technology reduces plaque and tartar build-up.
- Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach – An easy-to-digest recipe that’s gentle on the stomach with added prebiotic fiber. Grain-free version is also available.
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Perfect Digestion – Contains ActivBiome+, an exclusive blend of prebiotics, whole grain, oats, and pumpkin to promote healthy digestion.
- Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Health Cat Food – Formulated with antioxidants to support the immune system along with low magnesium for overall urinary health.
Which Hill’s Science Diet Formula is Right for Your Cat?
Given the extensive options Hill’s Science Diet offers, feeding your cat a diet that’s fine-tuned to their specific nutritional needs is easier and more affordable than ever before.
Now that you’ve learned how Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food formulas work and the benefits they provide, you can hand-pick the option that will help your cat thrive. And if you’re still unsure, you can take this easy quiz to zero in on the formula that fits your pet best.
However, while pet parents often feel they know their cats best, consulting your veterinarian is an important part of selecting the right Hill’s Science Diet formula to fit your cat’s current health profile and objectives.
The right diet plays a critical role in promoting and maintaining good health. But food alone is not a sufficient treatment for diagnosed health problems, such as diseases or chronic illnesses.
“If the pet has specific health issues, only utilize recommendations from your veterinarian for meeting the pet’s dietary needs,” recommends Dr. Michael Fleck, DVM, founder and medical director of the Animal Medical Center of Bradenton and co-host of The Pet Buzz, a popular, pet-centered radio show.
Choosing the wrong diet, he warns, could worsen health conditions that could have long-term consequences. And since the mission of Hill’s Science Diet pet food is “to help enrich and lengthen the special relationships between people and their pets,” that’s definitely something you want to avoid.
So talk to your veterinarian if you have any questions about which Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food formula is best. They’re likely to have some good suggestions for you and your cat.